Wednesday, January 23, 2008

24/7

What a sweet day it has been. Leaving school today, I contemplated whether or not to go downtown to a local ministry called 24/7. I called my brother who encouraged me to go. I walked into the warehouse to find a dimly lit room with soft worship music playing in the backround. A large open area meets you as you walk in,furnished with couches and a rocking chair or two. On the opposite side of the room there are what seems to be about 10 or 15 little booths with curtain doors. At first I thought nobody was there but then I saw Sandra (not her real name but I couldn't remember) sitting there. She came over and showed me all around. The ministry has many different facets. I was in the prayer room ( more prayer warehouse) which was designed to set up an environment in which you can meet with God. Each one of the "booths" has a different "theme" or purpose. Ranging from praying for Darfur or local criminals to praying to recieve peace or forgiveness. I heard stories about how many people have had experiences with God in this place.

After being shown all around and having been told all about this place, I met with the director, Lisa. (yes, that is her real name... I can't remember everyones name)She told me about opportunities to serve and volunteer my time and skills. She told me about the Justice Project which is a ministry geared toward showing the radical love of Christ. Whether it's through paving roofs, buying washing machines, or providing a shoulder to cry on, they are all about generosity and love. They picked a neighborhood within the city to focus their efforts. By the end of the meeting I was offered a job, fulltime or part time, serving the innercity community! I was floored that I could be paid to do what I love to do! I left there floating and thinking about just how good God is. He turned a meeting that I was very reluctant to go to and turned it into something amazing. I'm not saying I'll take the job or anything but I'll definitely pray about it.

No comments:

I Heart You