Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Security

My steps are almost in a run as I go to check my bags. This is the first time I've flown alone and I'm not sure how this works. Once my bags are checked, the sweat begins. "Oh, no", I thought. The line was over a hundred people long for security. I have to walk 50 feet back to find the end. I'm in that panicked state where I feel like I'm missing something because I just checked my bags and every 10 seconds I have mini panic attacks because I can't find my already checked bags.
People try to make small talk with me but as I watch the time get closer and closer to departure my ability of coherent speach ceases. "This line's ridiculous. Can you believe they only have two lines open?", my fellow passenger states."Erg, hah hah", was all I mananged. This apparently did not deter my disgruntled neighbor in line who took my grunts and attempts at giggling as a sign to keep going. My first time flying alone and the security line is leaving me with minutes to spare before my flight. Step by step I get closer to the front with Chatty Cathy talking my ear off while I feel like I'm slowly having a meltdown. What do you do if you miss your flight? Do you have to pay for a new ticket? I can't afford another flight. I thought all this while whispering mild obsenities under my breath. Next in line and boarding ticket in hand, I walked up to the security employee.
"Can I see a photo ID?" they asked. I pulled out my wallet and tried to get my drivers liscense out of it's plastic pocket. I tried and tried and, again, tried but no avail. My flight leaves in 10 minutes and my flipping drivers liscense is stuck in my wallet? It's two minutes later, I'm still tugging away and I've become convinced that my wallet has a death grip on my liscense. With my fingers bloodied and bruised, the security man offers some pity and says to just go through. All at once, words return and massive sweating ceasing. I can breath again as I run to my plane. "Yes!", I mutter as my flight is doing its final boarding. I will enjoy the moment because I realize next week I will have to do this all over agian!

No comments:

I Heart You